Sunday, April 05, 2009



Cecil ''Jerry'' Whitmore

---I've known Cecil for five years, now. We have been on the same ward in the same hospital. When I first arrived on the ward, Cecil had already been here, for awhile.
---After a time, they moved a few of the beds around...and Cecil's bed was one of them. We were only two beds away, now, and started to talk one day. The man between us, didn't seem to mind.
---Cecil and I had obvious things in common. We both had had strokes. Mine happened at work while Cecil's happened when he was on stage. That got my, immediate, attention. I wanted to find out more about this.
---After a time, I got the story. The gist of it is that Cecil played lead guitar for a regional blues band called, ''the Whitmore Family.'' He played the blues for some 38 years. He, with his sons, made a career out of this.
---Some of his sons still play. Cecil doesn't play, since the stroke. One of his arms doesn't work, anymore. But, he has some great tapes, from the days, when he was Jerry Whitmore - Lead Guitar. If the tapes are any indication of how good the band played, I'm sorry I never got a chance to see them. The tapes are from 1983.
---I'm sure, Cecil's story is just one of many stories, that we have, here, at the hospital. If any resident has something of interest that he/she would like to share, let someone know. If you can't write it down, someone will help you. It may be fun for someone to hear about your story or you just may have fun telling it. Take Care.
.
Cecil's Band - Follow Directions (It Will Play)
(Last song is re-recorded)

No comments: